Sunday 15 September 2013

Back blogging again..

I admit I've been bad about updating my blog recently.  I'm guilty of moving around Web platforms depending on a completely unscientific set of criteria - what has the sexiest app, what is on my browser quick links bar, what has the most hackability, etc etc.  Also, audience seems to have a big impact, and sometimes blogging seems like you're just typing away into the ether where no one will really read it.  It's always nice to think you're being heard, even if you are just rambling.  I'm just that kind of person, I thrive on feedback and interaction, and blogging doesn't give me the same feeling as Twitter or GitHub does.  The problem with Twitter (although equally its strength) is that 160 chars is just too little to write anything meaningful about my research (discuss!) although I do think it's a authentic research tool, and it's great for meeting and interacting with folk (in fact unparalleled as LinkedIn can frankly do one!)

Anyway, whilst talking to my lovely girlfriend and a very old and learned mate (both who have much better blogs than me!) last night, I have decided to make more of an effort to blog in relation to my PhD.  Why? Well, the answer is twofold really.  Firstly, in a recent supervision with the Prof, he warned me to not fall into the trap of not documenting and sharing (with him and the academic community) my PhD journey, especially the stuff that would actually be of interest to the community.  I'm often getting asked things on Twitter and have nowhere to show people what I'm up to (like this).  If I've got a longer-than-160-chars point to make, it makes sense to make that point on T'blog and then 'advertise' it on Twitter.  I think this dual space model will work, and it's certainly worth a try, my only reservation will be whether people make longer-than-160-chars responses on my blog or stuck to just quote-tweeting me with 'I agree' or more likey 'meh' afterwards ;-)

The second related point is that some of my mates are quite interested in the young children and coding space, and as I'm one of the few people investigating that area, and they'd like to know where my research is taking me now, rather than waiting til I finish my PhD.  Especially with all the changes in the curriculum in UK schools.  So, here is somewhere they can check into rather than mailing me and asking what I'm up to.  They can of course still do that, but perhaps here everyone benefits.

Anyway, enough waffle already.  I'm about to get a couple of points off my chest here.

1 comment: